Tuesday, October 9, 2018

What If Christine Blasey Ford Said This?



So, here we are, post the Ford-Kavanaugh hearings, and the Republicans have ramped up the rhetoric, taken control of the story line once again, this time casting democrats, and particularly women democrats as angry mobs of extremists –vigilantes running wild in the streets.  (and they’re not referring to Charlottesville).

And here we are with the media (the” liberal” media) hysterically calling Trump out as a blatant liar.  Just this morning I heard a frustrated CNN anchor proclaimed, “But the truth is the truth?” 

Classical theories of rhetoric aside ( Plato, Socrates and that gang) you don’t have to look much further than Lakoff, (just about anything he’s written, but particularly Don’t Think of an Elephant– discussing the difference in how republicans and democrats frame political narratives), or Kevin DeLuca ( Image Politics) to be reminded that the truth often takes a back seat to the message and how it’s delivered ( performed).

In my last post I looked at the difference between what Christine Blasey Ford did with her language and what Kavanaugh did with his.  His choice of words - attacked, accused, directed the Senators to take action and warned what would happen if they didn't.  
Ford labeled herself terrified, reluctant and apologizing for not being more reliable.

There is NO WAY I CAN WRITE THE FOLLOWING WITHOUT BEING ACCUSED OF BLAMING Blasey Ford. 
But I’ll say again.  I respect her immensely.  I am in awe of what she did.  I’m pretty sure I couldn’t have done it myself.  We should hold her forever as a hero to women and girls and as a haunting reminder to men, all men.

I’ve taken Blasey Ford’s opening statements again and I’ve add a gloss that reframes how she shows up and what she does with her speech.  

What if Christine Blasey Ford had said it this way?







































No comments:

Post a Comment